Can anyone help this gentleman?

Please make sure you CC gustavo@faro.ens.uabc.mx in your reply!

From: "Gustavo D. Danemann" <gustavo@faro.ens.uabc.mx>
To: <coyote@vanagon.com>
Subject: Need help!
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:24:20 -0700

Hi!

I´m calling from Baja California, where nobody seems to be able to help me with my ´81 air cooled Westfalia Vanagon. The problem is that it consumes too much gasoline, about 1 liter each 5.5 kilometers (around 12 miles/gallon). I rebuilt the engine with new heads, pistons, etc. two months ago. I had the fuel injection system double checked, and it seems to be working fine. Spark plugs are white, showing no sign of over combustion. Nevertheless, the gas consumption is still the same, too high to travel.

Do you have an idea of what can I do? Mechanics here don´t have a clue!

Thank you very much for any help you can give me. Regards,

Gustavo
Ensenada, Baja California, México