There are fuel expansion tanks above and on both sides of my
84 = vanagon tank.  On each side there is a rubber grommet with
a plastic = Y-tube in it.  One branch of the Y goes to the expansion
tank on that = side, and the other branches connect to each other via
tubing.  One of my = Y thingies just came apart spontaneously while
I was filling the = tank.  When I got down to fixing it, I found
the other one was cracked as = were the gaskets.  I have long arms,
and gained access by removing the = front wheels and of course blocking
up the front end well.  Removal of = the tank was NOT necessary.  But
I tried that first.  It was = quite heavy, even empty, and I had no jacks at
the time to help with reinstallation.  Try the wheel-removal thing first
unless you = have other concerns that really require tank removal.

I can't remember if I = jammed the new Y thingie through the new gasket
with the gasket installed on = the tank, or whether I first put the gasket on
the Y thingie.  = Whichever it was, it was pretty tight getting both pieces
in place.  Patience = and fumbling.

Oh yeah....... try to clean all the sand from the whole = area to keep it out
your hair and eyes and gas tank.... so do the cleaning = BEFORE you have
the old parts removed and the gaping holes ready to catch the debris.
Steve<= BR>