My 85 Vanagon had an automatic fill valve which = caused nothing but trouble at the fill stations.
Some even refused their service as it was not worth = it to spend 15 minutes and only put in 1/2 a gallon!

Here is how I fixed it:

Emptied tank by lighting burners. (outside with = windows open)
Unscrewed fill valve and took it to a local propane = parts store and bought a plain manual fill valve for about $25.
Screwed new valve back in (used a bit of Teflon on = the threads).
Went to a propane place and filled tank with no = problem.

No problems since (about 10 years now).

This was a long time ago, I forgot all the details but use your = common sense.  Make sure the bleed valve
is still there.

Alfred
85 Vanagon

PS:  Donated the automatic valve to the brass recycling pile = at the propane parts store.