Earlier this year, I had my local mechanic replace = my exhaust system with parts I bought from Ken Wilford (Van-Again).  Any = competent mechanic should be able to do the job.  Remove old studs, carefully = drill out the remains if necessary.  Then insert helicoils, new studs and = your off.

John in Middle GA
----- Original Message -----
From: Jay & Kim Schmidt
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 1999 = 12:01 PM
Subject: newbster

Hi all,
    Vanagon newbie = here. My 84 exhaust replacement(NO local shop would touch) will involve replacing = the head studs. The real bear is removing the old crusty exhaust and breaking/drilling/tapping etc to prep the heads for new studs. Here = are my Q's:
1. Do the heads some off = and out with the engine IN? I could do a great job if I had the heads on = the bench! I'll probably botch something if I drill the heads while in the = bus. I almost think it'd be worth dropping the whole motor if the heads alone = dont come. I've done the drop on my 77 a couple times...looks~ similar. Opinions?
2. Where can I order = stainless studs and hardware from? Stud size?(if oversize not neccessary)
3. I am just beginning to = learn/read about head and head gasket woes on these beasts. Would it be recommended to replace the heads and/or gaskets if I = pull them? (even with unknown bottom-end = mileage/wear?)
Thanks to all! I just got my first = H20 van last week and I'll be much more *take* than *give* while I learn. = Please bear with me. I'm excited to have my new exhaust (from BD) and have sprayed = it with BBQ paint to hopefully avoid instarust! I hope to do this right! =
Jay
schmidt5@hsonline.net
...The bus came by and I got on. That's when it = all began...