I've done this!

I used to have a '62 Transporter on which I only = used about the top 4 or 5 inches of windshield.  Also, being in SUNNY Phoenix, = I was darn near blinded by the newish concrete freeways here.  I taped = aluminum foil over the lower half of the drivers side windshield.  Did not significantly affect visibility and had a wonderful effect on eye = comfort (kinda like Eskimo sunglasses).

Downside of all this is that it is illegal.  I = think illegal in all states, but I'm not positive of that.

One of the TV stations here did some testing as to = whether window tinting actually affects interior temperature when a car is = parked in the sun, using one with and one without side by side for a period of time.  I didn't think they answered with enough data for a complete = report, but their conclusion was that there isn't much difference (as I recall, = about five degrees).  I personally have my windows tinted, and I'm glad I = do.

Karl Wolz