Tim: Sounds like third gear synco, acts like third gear synco, must be third gear synco....sorry I've been there, done that....1000 miles from home in out 86 GL.

New/used tranny next stop...

Lee...

Hi Folks, I think I have a problem.

Patient: 83.5 Vanagon. 145k miles, 20 k miles on a rebuilt motor.
Symptoms: Very difficult -- just shy of impossible -- to get into 3rd and
fourth gear.

Treatment thus far: I assumed I had a linkage problem, so I replace some
bushing and assorted pins (at tranny end) and re-adjusted. Got first,
second, and third working like butter (at least by hand when under the van).
Couldn't get it into fourth at all. Road tested. Could no longer get it into
third, but first and second (and reverse still fine). Found I could "force"
(as in slam) the lever into 3rd and fourth(!), but then it didn't want to
come out so well.

I've thought about replacing the clutch slave cylinder, but it's been done
in the past 20k miles, besides, last time that went, it was obvious
(wouldn't go into _any_ gear and there was fluid all over). I figure I'll
bleed it, but I'm not holding out.

Any additional treatment? BTW, this is on a medicare budget. I'm planning to
put the van up for sale, so I don't really want to drop a new tranny in it
first.

Thanks much

Tim

Seattle, WA