Karl,
    I live in the mountains near = Yosemite National Park. It can get rather cold here... I'll save your post to my = personal archives and give it a whirl when the temps drop.

            =         Thank you,  Mtngal
Subject: Is my 84 Vanagon Aux. = Air Regulator busted?
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier.  I = live in Phoenix, AZ, and was told that here in the summertime the effect on = the idle is negligible, since at ambient temp the AAR has almost no = effect.  Seems you have to be below 40 - 50 degrees and the engine entirely cold to = perform this test.
Karl Wolz
During cold idle, I squeezed the top = hose on my auxillary
air regulator like I think the = Bentley manual says to do.
I haven't got a tach, but just = listening to the RPMs they
only drop a teensy bit, if = that.  Am I doing the test right
and what does this = mean?