Hi Jay,
    Be sure you have all 4 bell = housing bolts removed,  one of them helps hold on the starter. Pushing = on the clutch pedal will then cause separation. If not the Transaxle input = shaft is not letting go of the clutch disk.  Not sure if there is a way to = remove the pressure plate stud bolts that go into the flywheel with the = transmission and engine together on a wasserboxer. It is possible to do it on a bus. Then = you can remove the engine and leave the clutch disk and pressure plate on the = transaxle. I will check for a bell housing access hole and let you know.

Darrell

----- Original Message -----
From: Jay & Kim Schmidt
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 1999 = 10:36 AM
Subject: remove engine

Hi all,
    I'm doing my = first wasserboxer removal(84) and am all set to drop, but can't get the = engine to pull free(or even begin to) from the trans bell housing. Everything = is  disconnected,I've tried various angles by adjusting the engine height, = but it wont break free. I've never had this problem on my 2.0 aircooled. I = know the lower studs have to come out straight, but I cant begin to pull from = the bell housing. Any suggestions?
    The alternative = is to leave it in and pull the heads. Bentley tells how to do it, but Haynes says = not to. What does the list think?
Jay
84 westy
77 westy
71 highroof camper