1). I have an Australian 1989 = Waterboxer Transporter. My previous VW was a 1970 type 2, purchased by my father in = 1970. I rebuilt the type 2 myself using the idiots guide (primarily), a = gregory's manual and advice from two reputable Australian rebuilders (when my information = conflicted). The only things that I re-used  internally were a = linished camshaft and the conrods (after I balanced them). My waterboxer has done = 130,000km's and I although it is still running well, I am considering my = next rebuild now. Has anyone done this themself and would you recommend it to = someone like me who has the tools and knowhow for a 1600 aircooled rebuild. I = have a bentley manual and from reading the archives will be purchasing the haynes.

2). A more pressing problem is my five = speed transmission jumping out of second. I am about to have it rebuilt for a = rough (wait and see) quote of $2000 - $2500. (this job is beyond my tooling = and knowhow). My gearbox is whining, although not too loudly, and the whine = starts low and rises in pitch with each gear change. I am hoping therefore that = it is not a crown and pinion problem as shouldn't this be a constant whine = governed by the roadspeed? Can anyone suggest the cause of this noise.? =

3). Can anyone suggest how to determine = if I have a "coolant into cylinder" leak. I would love to test for = this.

Dominic

P.S. My friend who bought my type2 = reports that it is still running well after 40,000 miles. Thankyou idiots guide, Stan = Pobjoy in Sydney and Mick Motors in Brisbane.