From: John
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, = 1999 9:58 PM
Subject: Re: 86 Westy = Question

Brent David Kardell wrote:

> Hi there everybody,
>
> I just completed a 3 month road trip with = my 86 Westy with no
> problems, and now that I'm back home, it won't start.  All the
> electricals work, but it won't even TRY = to turn over.  Does anyone
> have any suggestions of where I can = check first, or direct me to a URL
> location where this has already = been discussed?  I'm obviously not a
> mechanic, and would like = to avoid a mechanic as well.  Any help is
> very much appreciated!
>
> I hope everyone is have a great day!
>
> Brent Kardell
> 86 Westy
> Oakland, Ca.

Hi Brent,

You symptom could be many things, so the = following is just food for
thought:

Is the engine free to rotate - not = seized or locked up ?

Is the battery in good condition & fully = charged (SG = 1.260 all cells)?

Are the battery cables clean & tight = at the batt terminals, ground
connections and the starter solenoid = ?

Is the transmission to chassis ground strap clean & tight ?

Is the = ignition switch electrical plug tight on the switch = (behind
steering column plastic trim cover) ?

Is the crank wire (KL 50) tight on the = male pin connection on the
starter motor solenoid (this can be very = difficult to check so if there
is a poor connection it is very likely to be = overlooked) ?

Are the starter motor bolts (2) tight ?

If all = previous checks are OK, remove the KL 50 wire from the solenoid
and check for power = when the ignition switch is in the crank position.
If there is power = (>10V) the starter is the likely problem. If there is
no power, the = ignition switch is the culprit.

Good luck,    JP