When I bought my '84 in 1997, the automatic = transmission was leaking.  VW said the leak was internal and a major rebuild was required.  Fortunately, I did not follow his advice, and I added = ATF every week.  When I finally found a good shop, the boss there found that = the o-ring around the governor opening was broken.  The  new = o-ring solved the problem.

John in Middle GA
'84 DL

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert A Pal
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, = 1999 12:13 AM
Subject: Automatic = Transmission

I have an '84 GL = (automatic).  I started noticing that it wasn't shifting out of 2nd.  I decided to check = the ATF and found the stick to be completely dry.  It took 2 3/4 quarts = to bring it up to the MAX hole.  It seemed to drive better.  I took = it out the next day and drove about 30 miles round trip and it was doing it again.  I checked the ATF again when I got home and it was down = to half way between the MAX and MIN holes.  I checked underneath and = could see about five different drops around the pan.  I ordered a new pan = gasket and changed it and cleaned the screen.  It appears to be leaking = from somewhere else.  Plus, it still won't go out of 2nd.  =

How serious does this sound?  = What must I look forward to?  Any help or ideas would be much = appreciated.  Thanks.

Rob
'84 GL  (190,000 = miles)
'86 Subaru GL-10 (260,000 miles)