Driving at operating temperature = yesterday, my 86 vanagon lost engine power as though the ignition circuit had been broken.  It then quickly started about 1 to 2 seconds later.  = There are no signs of any reduced performance, or misfiring.  The engine = just stopped.  It did it again a few minutes later.  Today, there = seems to be no sign of the symptoms.  On a 500 mile trip recently, I also = had a difficult time restarting the engine twice after the engine seemed to be = fully warmed up.  I waited half a minute and then it fired up as if there = was nothing wrong.  I am thinking of taking it to the dealer to have it = hooked up to the computer diagnostic tester.  Any suggestions of things to = try and check?

Oh, and this stalling symptom = occurred three years ago when I developed a rust hole in the exhaust pipe that has the = threaded access port in it (I assume this is some type of testing port).  In = any case, the symptom went entirely away when I replaced the pipe.  No = sign of the problem until 3 years later.

Thanks,
Jeff Hartman
Juneau, AK
86 vanagon