Bill,

If you climbed Mingus Mtn. from east to west (Jerome = on the uphill portion), you're running about normal.

Karl Wolz
----- Original Message -----
From: William Wedenoja
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, = 1999 5:28 PM
Subject: Expansion tank = leak

There was coolant under the left rear of the = engine so I took a look.  White powdery substance on a coolant pipe.  = The coolant looked to me to be coming from the top of the expansion tank, = around the sensor.  Took it in to a shop.  The mechanic says there = is a leak on the side, where the two pieces of the tank come together, so = we ordered a new one.  Straight-forward.  The part should be in = today.  We'll get it in tomorrow.  But in the meantime the = coolant warning light on the dash has started blinking all the time--even when = the engine is stone cold .  Although the temp gauge reads = normal.  I thought, ok, we're low on coolant.  Added some to the overflow = with no result.  Pulled the cap off the expansion tank, thinking it would = be low--but it's full to the brim.  This I don't understand.  = Could it be simply a bad sensor?  Does it sound like the coolant flow is restricted somewhere too?  Or do I have excess pressure in the system?  I searched the archives for the past 21 months but = didn't find an answer.

We don't see many vanagons around here, so it's = probably impossible to find a mechanic that has a lot of experience with = them.  Therefore, I'm turning to the list before this mechanic gets too deep = into it.

BTW, we took the westie 2300 miles in June from = Missouri to South Carolina and back and the gauge stayed steady at just above the = warning light.  We then took it 6700 miles up to Canada, across western = Canada, then down the coast to San Diego and back to Missouri.  The gauge = ran up to 2/3 on a hot day on the interstate heading north.  Was fine in = the Rockies.  But we lost a little coolant.  Discovered a leak = in a coolant pipe which was replaced in San Diego.  On some steep = grades heading to Jerome and Prescott, Arizona the needle went all the way to = the top and the fan came on momentarily, but other than that it behaved ok, so = I don't know if we have a cooling problem.  I have given some thought to = a new radiator, though.

Any advice on the expansion tank leak and on = keeping cool in general would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
'88 westie