Two things spring to mind: The brake hoses, if = original, could be expanding not unlike a balloon. If they are the originals, replace = them, if only as a safety precaution. Pressure bleed the system after they are = installed. Also, check that the rear brakes are properly adjusted.

Karl

----- Original Message -----
From: Victor Valenti
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, = 1999 2:30 AM
Subject: Help, 84 Vanagon Brake = Diagnosis

I have a n 1984 Westy and have = been having a braking problem. When the brakes are applied normally
they feel fine, but when the = brakes are stabbed hard (like in a panic stop) the peddle goes to the bottom of = the stroke and you can feel it bottom in the master cylinder.  I have = replaced the front and rear brake pads and shoes (drums turned) the = master cylinder, the vacuum check valve and rear wheel cylinders the system = has been bled manually, but still the problem persists. the only components = left are the proportion valve and brake vacuum booster. The VW mechanics  = I have talked to say that the vacuum boosters almost never go bad but it = seems to me that it is the strongest suspect left.  Before I spend the big = bucks and the major operation of taking apart the dash, I was wondering if = anyone had encountered a similar problem or had some mechanical/hydraulic advice.

Thanks =