Hello to all my fellow = listies,
     I thought I = would drop a post to say "Hi"  My van is running very well.  I = now have about 8,000 miles on my new engine.  I had to replace the distributor.  The hall sensor failed.  It started shutting off = after driving for about 30 minutes.  Sometimes it would restart sometimes = not.  I have not had a recurrence of the problem since replacing = the distributor.  I have just replaced the CV boots on the front.  = My '86 now has over 220,000 miles on it.  My last rebuilt engine lasted = about 160,000 miles.  They are both VW rebuilds.

     I still = have a leak on my coolant tank.  If anyone has a good used one, I would be = interested in buying it.  I started using the heaters again.  The = temperatures here in Arkansas have started to get chilly in the morning.  I think I = have a leak on the rear heater core.  I smell antifreeze from time to time = when I run it.  I guess its time to pull it out and see how bad it is.

     After following all the = posts on tires, I decided to try for an inexpensive replacement tire.  I = bought Goodyear Viva radials.  I wanted to go with an truck tire but = didn't want to pay allot.  My Syncro isn't a camper, so my loads are fairly light.  The Viva's are P205-75R-14.  The load rating is = 1532lbs. at 44psi.   Treadware 400, traction and temperature are both = B's.  The tire is supposed to be an 80,000 mile tire.  I paid $43.00 = mounted and balanced.  I am running them with 44psi in the rear and 40psi in = the front.  The tread pattern is open and fairly aggressive.  The = tire is not an all terrain tire, but I think it would do very well in dry or = slightly wet conditions.  My gas mileage increased quite a bit.  I = haven't calculated it but I used  but I could only get about 250 miles on a = tank of fuel before.  Now I get close to 300 miles on a tank.  The = tires have a stiff side wall and handling is very good.  The tread is full = depth across the tire.  This helps channel water out from under the = tire.  We'll see how the tire works.  I know many of you are looking for a = cheaper tire for your vans

     Well ya'll = take care.

Colin Moran
'86 Syncro = GL
"The Bronze Brick"