A couple of weeks ago I posted a = message to both this list and the type 2 list
about my poor '80 vanagon.  = I've been trying to diagnose a high RPM misfire for
about three months.  Everything = that you have suggested has made the van
run better (lots better!) but the = high RPM miss is still there.  It only occurs when I
accelerate = quickly (floor it).  If I go smoothly the engine doesn't misfire till = around
55-60 mph  when I have the accelerator is all = the way down.

Any suggestions?  (I have replaced coil, plugs, = wires, distributer, cap, rotor, fixed vacuum leaks and cleaned the = AFM)

I have been trying to adjust the = idle to the proper setting so that I can set the timing
properly (I replaced the distributor = as the other one was wore out).  Which leads me to my next = problem.

Turning the idle adjusting screw = makes no difference in idle speed.  I have searched the archives and tried everything.

1.  Does anyone have a = suggestion of what the cause might be?  This is a 2.0 liter air-cooled with California = emissions (i.e. electronic ignition, O2 sensor, cat., = etc.).

2.  Do you think that my high = RPM misfire could be the result of this problem?  I was thinking that since I = couldn't set the Idle correctly the timing might not be correct.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks for all your = help.

Gary

'80 westy =