Max, et. al.

I have had very good results applying "Teflon tape" to the drain plug, when I replace it.  It seals and lubricates...  As to the sealing / locking issue for the new inserts, you can use 3M 5200 marine caulking.  You will need to clean any residue from the thread surfaces or,  you won't be able to screw the new plug in.

Max/Joyce Wellhouse wrote:

Question is, is there something stronger than red loctite to use for these threads.  I did use a new drain plug with the timesert btw. 3.  Is there a fairly simple method to determine whether or not your flywheel surface needs resurfacing when doing a clutch replacement?  Mine is slipping badly, most likely due to oil contamination, or is this just a good thing to do regardless of why the clutch has gone south

Yes.  If, after releasing the clutch, you have time to walk back to your front door, kiss your wife or girlfriend (or both),  pour a fresh cup of coffee, pet your dog and then climb back in your van before it begins moving, your clutch plate is probably slipping against the fly wheel.  In this case, the flywheel should be resurfaced.  This test may be skewed by the varying walking distances involved...

David Crook