After a 20+ minute drive down I-10 = today at 70-75 MPH, my 84 Westy auto started skipping 2nd gear completely.  = Starts off fine, but winds the RPM way up in first before kicking straight to = drive (3rd).  Any ideas on what may be causing this?  Fluid level = OK, doesn't smell burnt, and no visible leaks.  Dug through the Bentley = and didn't see a whole lot I could check.  I'm thinking the entire 2nd = gear brake band has gone or there's something like a seal blown in the 2nd = gear brake band piston.  Can this be checked without a complete = teardown?  Not enough $$$$ for a new tranny right yet, and rebuilds seem to be almost = as much as new ($1395).  TIA.

Greg
84 Westy 1.9L Auto
105K
NW = Florida