In addition to bleeding the system, it would hurt to = take a look at the radiator, radiator fan, and water pump.  When I = bought my '84 30 months ago, cooling system was doing things such as you = describe.  New water pump, new radiator fan and fan switch, and a professional = radiator cleaning did the trick.

John in Middle GA
----- Original Message -----
From: Buettner, = Peter
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 1999 = 4:35 PM
Subject: overheating?

My = van shows an above normal temperature.  When I bought the van 6 months ago the = needle of the temperature gauge was always just below the LED.  Several = weeks ago the needle suddenly climbed just above the LED.  I checked = the coolant overflow reservoir and found it empty.  I filled it up = with about one quart of water.  The coolant level has been ok since then but = the gauge still shows an above normal reading.  Today during warm = wetter and slow traffic the needle went even higher, about halfway between the = LED and the end of the scale.  The radiator fan came on a few times = also.
Does = anybody have an idea what's going on ?

Many = TIA,
Peter
90 = Syncro Westy
SF, CA