I based my choice of filters on this sites information, that led me to use a Purolator. It does test the Bosch, Mahle, Mann, and VW oil fiters.

After reading this and Doktor Tims replies I will get some Mahle fiters.

David Wolf
'76 Westy

The Bus Depot wrote:

> I have been using the cheap oil filters
>  After joining this List this summer I
> have become sort of paranoid as to
 > what should be used in a Vanagon.
> Which is better, and why?

Only two filters, to my knowledge, are specifically designed for the
Transporter/Vanagon engine, with the correct characteristics that Mahle
speaks of.  One is the Mahle (also sold under the Knecht name), the other
Mann (also an O.E. supplier to VW).  Bosch is sometimes but not always
comparable to the above two brands. In some markets, they are selling a good
German filter (probably in fact made by Mahle or Mann).  In others they are
simply repackaging some U.S. made filter, whose origin cannot be confirmed.
(Therefore I don't sell them, given the good availability of actual Mahle
and Mann filters which are always the same.)