Thanks to all who responded to my email last week about the above-normal temp gauge reading on my Vanagon.  Last weekend I changed the coolant and bled the system according to Bentley.  The temp needle is still above the LED.  I also checked the hoses and couldn't find any coolant spots.  There were some slight traces of coolant at the head gaskets.  Nothing major, so I'm not worried about it yet.  Will keep an eye on it.

From all your emails I got the following suggestions:

air in system -> bleed (done)
head gasket leak
leaking hose -> check all hoses (done)
temp needle just above LED is normal, don't worry about it
clogged radiator -> professional(!) cleaning or replace
worn water pump -> replace
stuck thermostat -> replace
replace stock thermostat and blower switch with the low temp versions

As a next step I will have the radiator cleaned and replace the water pump.  Can anyone recommend a business in San Francisco, CA that does this kind of radiator work?

Thanks,
Peter
90 Syncro Westy
SF, CA