Have found a Web site that provides a background check on your vehicle. All you do is type in your VIN and zip code, it searches its national database, and up pops a report. The free info is pretty minimal, but the full report is not that bad...$19.95 for a single report. I found it interesting for on another vehicle with which I am itimately involved, it turned no salvage title, but did turn up three incidents of damage, yet it was sold to a lady friend as an undamaged vehicle. It appears  fraud was involved, and since the vehicle was in a floor plan with a bank she is taking it to task.

Members of this list might want to try this site.

http://www.carfax.com/index.htm

John Rodgers