I looked at a '83 Westfalia yesterday - air-cooled and priced $3500. Here's a bunch of stuff I noticed about the vehicle and wondered if anyone can tell me if that would be a fair price - and if possible, what it would cost to fix:

- 83 Westfalia, 150k miles (but odometer is broken)

- said engine rebuilt 30k miles ago - no records, though

- engine seems to run well, decent amount of power, pick-up, etc

- no obvious leaks under the engine, transmission

- vehicle could really use a steam cleaning

- foam air barrier thingy at front of engine was not on properly - as I pushed it in the throttle cable tightened, revving up the engine

- most of the seams on the lower half of the vehicle have small rust spots (not sure if these are developing from the inside or not) - no  obvious rust in rockers, under windshield, sliding door, etc

- various dings - worst is scrape all along passenger side about 2" up the vehicle (not rusting, yet)

- cracked windshield

- very spongy brakes - needed to push pedal down 2 X more than would expect

- very squishy suspension - some creaking from the front end

- clutch chatter - would go away when clutch pedal pressed down (what causes this?)

- exhaust leaks from drivers side

- oil cooler (auxiliary ?) on drivers side at back - some oil leaking from front hose connection

- general condition inside okay - probably needs new covering on interior panels though

- broken sliding door handle

- fridge, sink, stove - assume all work

- canvas ok - bug screen tears

- also has the gas heater

What do you think? Any tips on repair costs? Any comments or help would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!!

Jon

Do You Yahoo!?
Bid and sell for free at Yahoo! Auctions.