I have had a problem with a sticky = lifter for about 2 weeks now. After a little search on the archives I found a post by = Matthew Bulley. I proceeded to follow his instructions and I must say it worked = like a charm. The engine is now quiter than ever and sounds like a healthy = w-boxer :)
Thanks for the tips. I LOVE THIS LIST!!!

Ken Madsen
Whitby ON
87GL (no more = tap..tap..tap..)

here's the post....
<<
Warm up motor by driving.
Drain = engine oil. Change filter to any brand.
Refill with 1/2 & 1/2  engine = oil and Automatic Transmission fluid, any
brand.
Start motor, BUT DO NOT = DRIVE THE VAN!!!!
Allow the motor to idle, and rev it gently every once in a while  (like to
2,000 rpm) for about 20 minutes.
Drain Oil. = Change filter to MANN or VW brand filter (NO Fram, Autocrap, AC
Smelco, etc.)
Refill with Castrol 20w50, and about 8-16 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil.
In 1,000 to 1,500 miles change your oil again and use a MANN or = VW filter.
Kiss your ticking lifter goodbye.

The ATF is HIGHLY detergent, and will clean out the lifter. The Marvel
Mystery oil will continue the process. The good filter will = prevent the oil
from draining out of the lifters overnight.
After all of = that is done,  run a compression check to verify that you
don't have any = bum valves. You prolly don't.