Date:         Thu, 21 Nov 96 20:05:10 EST
From:     =     jag@cs.rochester.edu
Subject:&nbs= p;     Save your ball = joints!

Do you have an early 80's Vanagon, or similar vintage VW?  VW uses
"permanently lubricated" joints in the suspension = on the late model
busses. Grease is kept in and dirt kept out by a = flexible rubber
boot. This works well, saving you (or your mechanic) from = having to
"lube", but only for a while. After 10 years or so, = the rubber usually
cracks, and the previously sealed joint is now = exposed to the
elements. The Bentley manual says: replace ball = joint!

I noticed this summer that the rubber boots on my ball joints = were
getting brittle and one of them had cracked. However the = joints
themselves were still ok, and the suspension "tight"(*).  Instead of
replacing the joints per Bentley, I thought about other solutions:

Replacing the boot: about as difficult as = replacing the joint, since
the joint has to be taken out to slip a new boot = over it.

"Renew" the boot: Well how can you do that? = Self vulcanizing (or self
curing) rubber tape is a product, which much = like a inner tube rubber
patch chemically bonds to itself and other = rubber. The tape however is
much thinner and elastic than even racing bicycle = tube patches.

To apply the tape on the old boots I first = thoroughly cleaned
everything and let it dry. Then I applied a thin coat of vulcanizing
solution (as found in tire repair kits) to the old = boot. The tape
cures to itself without any extra solution, but the old = boots had a
dry and cracked surface, which needed to be softened to make = the tape
stick. I waited a minute or two for the solution to work, = and then
applied a thin layer (two overlapping turns) of tape = stretched to
about half its original thickness.

Before sealing = the one cracked boot I also injected a little new
grease through the crack.

When I inspected the joints 6 month later (this = weekend) I found that
the repaired boots still look fine, and were as = flexible as when I
first put the tape on.

(*) I checked the front = end for "tightness" by lifting the bus and
trying to rock the = wheel in all directions. Is there a better way to
do = this?

/Martin and '82 diesel westy
--
Martin = Jagersand          &nbs= p;      email: jag@cs.rochester.edu