This fuel mileage is actually quite good for the air = cooled engine.  Poor fuel economy and reliability forced VW to offer the = diesel until the Waterboxer was released.

Dennis

----- Original Message -----
From: easoars
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, = 1999 12:27 AM
Subject: fuel economy

I bought a couple a months ago a 82 = Westy and since then I have purchased, replaced everything with the exception of = the transmission. I notice that the fuel economy around town is between = 15.5 and on a good day almost 17mpg. The engine runs great with the exception = of lacking some horse power. The book says it has 67 hp and is a 2.0 = litre engine. My other car is a 95 Caravan 3.0 litre and gets about 17 to 18 = mpg in the city and has about 150hp and ten times the acceleration. Is there something wrong with the vanagon on the mileage rating? you would = figure the VW would get around town a minimum of 22-25mpg. Are there any tricks = of the trade to boost some extra HP and get better gas mileage. Could the = catalytic converter be clogged it doesn't appear to be since I do have a lot of = exhaust flow discharge (for those looking for an air compressor). This vehicle = is a CA emission vehicle and 4 speed manual tranny. Any helpful thoughts would = be helpful.
Andy
82 Westy = CA