Going through the steps using the = Bently manual I must of accidently cross two connectors on the double relay using = my multi meter shorting the ECU. Apparently this effected the fuel pump relay circuitry which the ECU would complete ground. = Question can this ECU be repaired by identifying the faulty electronic component and = replace it? I also purchased a used but good computer but the numbers are different. = My 82 Westy is a California emission vehicle and most part numbers are = different from the other 49 states. The original ECU number is 071-906-021B (California = model) and the one I replaced it with was a federal model 039-906-021D. = The Van is running OK but I notice an increase in fuel consumption aprox 1.5-2 mpg. = Will the Van pass emissions next time around and  will it cause problems = to the engine? One last question does the computer electronically advance the distributor timing? The reason why I ask is when I accelerate the engine = and use a timing light the timing mark goes all the way to 40 degs. BTC the = Bently manual says different. Please provide some helpful = feedback?
Andy
82 Westy
Seal Beach, = CA