Hi Volks!!
I've been reading this thread with interest,as I am = an Owner/Driver of a 17ton truck here in the U.K.I can make some comparison = between your country and ours on the subject of trucking and the state of the = roads,as I was fortunate enough to travel from Boston to St Luois,via Milwaukee,on = vacation last year.
The views expressed by the majority of the list re = the damage to the roads caused by heavy vehicles seem to hold true for most = countries here in Europe as well as the U.S.In the UK the haulage industry pay almost = the highest road taxes in the world,[for my single truck I have to pay an = annual fee of £1450 or US$2320]
In addition the Government takes the highest rate of = tax on Diesel,more than gasoline,a current price of 50cents a litre,approx = US$2.45 a gallon.These taxes amount to over £30 billion a year,and are supposed = to pay for the roads upkeep.
Of course,the money is spent on welfare for the = unemployed mostly....
Your Interstates,at least the ones I travelled on = ,were for the most part much less heavily "trafficked"than ours,and = consequently,seemed in much better condition.
Our trucks max out at 98560 pounds,and because of = the density of truck population,and the speed limiters fitted,cause deep = "tramtracks" in one lane of the highway.When you are in a narrower vehicle than a truck,you = tend to weave along the road on that lane,constantly" falling  into"and = "climbing out" of the tracks.
While everyone bitches about the damage,and the slow = trucks holding them back,
most realize that the truck is on a necessary = journey.After all,everything that is made has to be delivered,and as most of us want = the benefits of modern society,we understand that there is a price to = pay.The roads were originally built to take goods,and the use for the general public = should always be secondary to the movement of freight,as trade is what = made our respective countries so prosperous...
Lance
Vanagon/Transporter" Autohomes Kamper"
 Volvo FL617,"The Beast"
H.D 1200C Sportster