Hi all
This is my first posting to = the Vanagon Listing from the UK, from subscribing last weekend I logged on this = weekend to find over 300 unread E-Mails, so thought I would just add my 2 penneth = or $ whatever.

The Interstate debate is = interesting and I agree with Lance's comments that "Tram Lining' exists along most UK = Motorways, but whilst I can see them they have never really bothered my in the VW.  Once a year we drive to Italy, through France and = Switzerland, and I have never noticed them on European Motorways to any great extent.

French Motorways are superb, = and the Swiss like driving on silk.  Italian Motorways are pot hole ridden = and I have lost wheel covers several times.  This annoys me as you have to pay road tolls on Italian Motor
Ways just like the French and = Swiss.

I have experienced several = dodgy moments because of tramlines in my 1960 Humber , because it still runs on = 6.50" x 15" Crossply tyres http://Humberonia.freeserve.co= .uk. .  I also remember being blown across the road in a 1972 VW Devon Camper = whilst on Crossplies, but I have never noticed tram lines to any degree on Radial = tyres, on my 1985 VW Camper which leads me nicely into the tyre debate. =

All this talk on Michelin MXT = tyres, fine if you want good tyres and have money to waste.  I have always = found that tyres perish long before they wear out, and you never drive a VW = Camper  at  the speed rating  on the tyre so why buy expensive tyres = ?.  My present tyres are Stomils, what I hear you say? Polish tyres they are = van tyres 185 x 14 with 8 ply side walls, and are brilliant £100 for = five.  I have had them on for 4 years they have done 5 trips to Italy {1000 miles = door to door} 1 trip to Holland and numerous trips out locally, and the tread = looks as good as new 35,000 miles {59,000km} later .  Snow in the Alps was = no problem, few wheel spins but no slides.  Off road up Italian = Mountains lots of dust but no grip problems all this on 2 wheel drive.  They are = always run at 50 psi,  what I think is important is checking tyre = pressures and that stones are regularly removed from the tread.

The Headlamp debate is = interesting to me because I have always wanted a van with Square lights, mine has round, = and I have wanted to fit the South African grille and driving light kit for = sometime now. Has anybody an opinion on the South African Style set = up?  100/80w bulbs are illegal in the UK too except for Off road use, = aesthetically I think square lights look better though...........................wait = for comments.

I love the Vanagon site and = like to see Vanagon photos on the web, it's not a conversion we see much in the = UK.  I have my van featured on the Type Two Owners Club site http://www.soft.net.uk/vwt2oc&= nbsp;in the members rides section if you're interested in a UK spec AutoSleepers = VHT on a 1985 VW Caravelle conversion.

I look forward to reading = your comments.

David Clark

1985 VW Caravelle 1.9L DG = Manual
1960 Humber Super Snipe = Estate 3.0L 3 Speed Manual
1988 Fiat Uno 1.1L = Automatic {wife's car can't accelerate past a = snail}