Help 84 Vanagon brake problem
The = next installment

Well,
It’s been awhile = since I got back about my ’84 Vanagon brake problems. (pedal pushed
hard = goes to the bottom without stopping well) But there have been some major =
changes happening.  Not only has work been very hectic and not allowed time = to work
on the van, but I now have an interesting story to tell.  Let = me spin it for you….

We were traveling down the 405 = freeway here in LA when a loud bang came from the
back of the van.
While we = wondered what the hell was that? another car came up along side and said we
were = spewing fluid so we pulled over to check and found coolant coming out from =
under the motor. Not wanting to work on the freeway we limped to the nearest off = ramp
and popped open the engine compartment.
A quick examination = revealed nothing major looking, no burst hoses or major pieces
missing.
We = poured water in the fill bottle and started the motor. Soon the water was = pouring
out of a small hole on the right rear cylinder. Not sure at the time = what it was I thought
maybe a freeze plug of some sort? Well
lets plug it = and see if we can get to the nearest VW shop. Taking out a piece of
mahogany = I had aboard I whittled a wood plug , cut it to an appropriate size and tapped =
it in to the hole with a hammer.
A little more water and we were off to = the shop.
Upon arrival at the VW shop I told the owner of the problem and = asked if there were
any freeze plugs on
the waterboxer motor to which = he replied “No” why don’t you show me on this motor =
in the back where
it’s leaking from. One look at the motor and I = clearly knew…the cylinder head nut and
stud had blown out!
The = dreaded electrolysis  had struck again!  I had never heard of this = symptom before
(usually leaking heads) but the stud had disintegrated and = blown out from the pressure in
the cooling system. My motor had reportedly had = the heads replaced before but the
previous owner didn’t know when = it had been. 170,000miles are currently on the
speedo without a rebuild and = the last time I checked the compression it was low in two
cylinders. It = was all stacking up to be a very expensive week. After talking prices and =
parts we left it to be fixed.
Rebuilt engine, all labor, new clutch, rebuilt = rear axle assemblies, hoses, a few broken
parts and 8 cylinder studs later = (and $3200) the Westy is back on the road and
humming. And oh yeah, they = couldn’t figure out my brake problem either! (weak brakes
when pushed = hard).  After getting the van back I decided I’m going to fix these damn
brakes before they kill me. I went to the nearest pick your part = junk yard and removed
from an 84 Wolfsberg the brake booster and pedal = assembly and brake regulator (and a
strait as an arrow rear bumper and rubber = strip) for about 78 bucks!,
Thanks to all who wrote in about my problem with suggestions, Michael Radtke, Ken
Wilfy, John
Lauterbach, Robert = Keezer and others, I hope to let you all know some good news =
soon.

P.S.  I’ve now = installed the vacuum booster and brake regulator with no difference in
the feel at = all and pumped at least a gallon of DOT 4 fluid through the lines. One thing I =
have noticed  that the brakes seem to work better if I increase the = engine RPM (at a
stop one foot on gas one on brake), it takes more pressure to = bottom them out
I have to believe more people have had similar experiences = with this. A vacuum leak
seems like a possibility still.  Oh Well!

Victor Valenti
84 = Westy
“The Baked Potato”