While hunting for an intermittent and increasingly annoying front = end squeak, I took the opportunity last weekend to check the front wheel = bearings of my 85 2WD Westy.  Armed with my trusty sidekick - the Haynes VW = Transporter Manual -  I faithfully followed the procedure for the front wheel bearings  adjustment.  The wheel spins well with no grindings = or rumblings and I noted no little pieces of metallic-doo that would = indicate increasing bearing entropy.

Grasping the wheel at 12:00 and 6:00 and rocking it produced no = notable movement.  Rocking the wheel at 3:00 and 9:00, however, resulted in = a wee-bit of play.  My hub nut appeared to be correctly tightened - I = could move the thrust washer with finger pressure.  Haynes notes that the = hub should turn with a "trace" of play.

Wanting to double check the English interpretation of the 'deutsche = method' (or exhibiting what Freudian psychiatrists would lovingly refer to as = anal behavior) I decided to check the archives for an explanation of just = what was/is a trace of play.  The posts I found were split - some opined that = no play was present with the hub nut correctly tightened; others claimed that a = modicum of movement was acceptable.

Would anyone care to share their experiences/expertise in front = wheel bearings and hub play?   Thanks in advance for all comments/advice.

Todd

Westerville, OH