From: Joel D Shortlidge [mailto:shortlid@JUNO.COM]
Sent: Friday, December 10, 1999 10:11 AM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Shaft and compression

Hey Volks,
        Well my = brother got back the shaft for his Syncro from the drive line
place!  It was balanced with washers and had = new U-joints installed. It
was $198 but it has a 90 day guarantee.
        Also my = brother tested the compression on his '87 Syncro.  He = followed
all the directions for the tester and it read 90 = psi, 90psi, 80,
84!!!!!!!  he got these same #'s three = times!  No wonder it is so %#%$%#@
 SLOW!!!  I can't belive it even = RUNS!!!  The BIG book says between
184psi and 140 MIN!!  This engine block has = 150,000 miles on it, it was
rebuilt professionaly by a local VW guru 40,000 = miles ago!  It does not
burn a drop of oil or coolant and starts and runs = fine!  It just doesn't
have any real power, but it will do 70 mph on a flat = away.  So what do
you think? valves? rings? bad reading?
        I will = e-mail once the shaft is installed.

PS. E-mail me directly I am off the list right = now!