A shipmate of mine just purchased = a country home I think thats the name of the conversion. He picked it up in Lake = tohoe and started to drive down home to Southern Cal. About 200 miles into the = trip the engine locked up. He had it towed to a garage and the mechenaic said = that always happens to the diesel engine vanagons and offered to take it off his = hands for $200.00. My buddy called me up and was at the point to do this but I = convinced him that he would lose all the money he put into buying it. After 250 = dollars of renting a trailer and truck from u haul he brought it home. The vanagon = overall is staight with minor dents hiding underneath the bra and no rust. He is = thinking about taking the diesel out of his rabbit that is running find = but has about 150 thousand miles on it. I told him before taking the engine out = of the rabbit inspect the vanagons engine to see what the problem is. Is = this something that happens quite often w/diesels. By the way the owner = supposely replaced the head and renewed the oil. He confirmed that the oil was = clean and the filter was new. Is there anyone out there that can help him = locate a good bargain on an engine and get him back on track. He was = determined to get a Westy after he saw the one I just finished putting together. =
Andy
82 Westy