Ed-I will be curious to see the Listees = responses.  We have had the same problem going on two years now, = ours is an '85 and also an automatic which leads me to wonder if it might be some = sort of a a neutral safety switch problem-I assume they have them.  We are = the second owners so I don't know if this is the original starter or not.  It = does seem to get worse in very hot weather and after driving in hot weather shutting down and restarting before the engine = has a chance to cool down.  The grounds have been checked, the battery is = fairly new and there is no other obvious reason for this to happen other than = something internal to the starter.

Wendy & John
Cape Cod, = MA

'85 Westy,   = "S-CAPE"
'98 Passat