Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jan 2000 05:29:49 EST
From:         Benjamin Tan <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Would you buy this?

Hello Listees,

I have the opportunity to acquire a 1982 Vanagon (formerly diesel powered) with a solid lifter motor from an early Scirocco stroked to 1850cc. Engine size was confirmed by a very reliable source. Conversion was performed by owner who was a former VW mechanic. Makes me doubt his abilities since he IS a "former" VW mechanic. The conversion does look very sanitary. Almost factory looking. However, the engine is filthy with obvious signs of oil leaks -- mainly around the valve covers & oil pan. I noticed plenty of valvetrain clatter but this thing pulled like there was no tomorrow. Could be because of the diesel tranny. Standing starts in 2nd gear is no problem. Tires and brakes are new with receipts. Body is rough. Usual parking lot dings but no rust. Side door is creased and also part of the quarter panel just aft of that. Good front seats with non-adjustable armrest. No other seats Most interior panels are there. Headliner overhead has no rips but some on the lower portions at the D pillar area. This was used as work truck and makeshift sleeping van (not a camper). Oh yes, the windshield is cracked ($155 new -- installed).

Asking price is a very negotiable $1850. Sounds very reasonable to me. I mean, the parts for me to do my own conversion would be easily above that. I would want a 2.0 in there eventually.

BTW, the previous owner is not sure but "thinks" he used the stock Diesel exhaust. Tone is very authoritative but is too "butch" for my taste.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I need to make up my mind within the next 48 hours. The lack of power steering and AC is the only thing holding me back.

Thanks, BenT San Francisco