Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Feb 2000 16:58:40 -0500
From:         "Carrington, Tom" <tcarrington@RELITECH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mail size, Outlook, etc. was: No Direct Vanagon Content
Comments: To: Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>

How to reduce the disk usage by MS Outlook (full version, not Outlook Express)

The mail messages you download are stored in "Personal Folders", which can be found on your hard drive...just look for files that end in *.pst. When you download mail messages, they are tossed into the personal folder file. This makes the personal folders grow bigger and bigger....

Easy concept so far, right?

When you delete messages from your personal folder that you don't want to keep, guess what happens? NOPE, it does not make your personal folder smaller...it's still the same blasted size! You see, in the world of Microsoft, deleted does not mean deleted. Even though you don't see the messages in your folder, THEY ARE STILL THERE!

If you really want to get rid of them, first exit MS Outlook. The open up Control Panel, Mail (and FAX). Click once to highlight "Personal Folders" (or whatever name you changed them to), then click on properties. Click on the "Compact Now" button, and all those messages that you thought you had deleted will finally get purged from your hard drive. You may be suprised at how much smaller the file gets.

Don't try to compact them while you have Outlook open, or the size will not be reduced a single byte.

Happy compacting,

TomC tcarrington@relitech.com http://volksweb.relitech.com 85 Vanagon Crew Cab 82 Westy diesel=>gas conversion 65 Notchback