Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Feb 2000 19:04:47 -0500
From:         Paula Lazeski <plazeski@PRODIGY.NET>
Subject:      Webers for '82

I have a carburator kit that I just removed from my van. They are dual single barrel "baby webers", 34 ICT. These are more than adequate for a 2 liter engine. They give good power well beyond the red line and 20 miles to the gallon. They are simmilar to the dual solex carbs on 74 busses, but have larger tuning potential. If you increase displacement, enlarge your valves, add an extracor system, they would be more than likely to accomidate. Having big carbs on a small 2.0 gives slightly unfavorable volumetric efficiency at low RPM's(engine doesn't create enough vacuum to realize Bernoulli's principle very well). I would immagine dual two barrel carbs wouldn't realize their full potential below 3000 RPM, not to mention squirting all your gas away every time you step on the gas. The red line on your engine is about 4500 so you wouldn't have a very large usable power band. The smaller ones that I had on my van were kind of unresponsive below 2000, but once they reached that the van would lunge forward with great fury. They wouldn't be very good for towing, carrying heavy loads. They are nice on the highway when you're turning 4000. 80 mph isn't a problem, but anything over 70 is to fast for the engine and hammers on your valve train. They are easy to troubleshoot on the side of the road. Especially on long trips, carburators have a lot less that can go wrong with them than an electronic fuel injection system. You can trouble shoot on the side of the road with your head instead of diagnostic equipment and potentially avoid a tow. They do give the van "doughnut" potential, and the throaty sound they make is pretty mean also. I'm asking $200 for the two carburators, two manifolds, hex-bar linkage, and since I wont need it anymore, I'd give you the syncro guage that is required after installation. All this stuff is about a year old, they don't have any wear on them. I have an electric fuel pump that you can have also. I've decided to reinstate the fuel injection's rule over my engine. I have recently aquired a second parts van so I finally have enough parts to make a full set. I'm doing it in an attempt to save some gas mileage. E-mail me, tell me what you think, I can UPS them to you tomorrow. fellow vanagonist-RYAN

[text/html]