Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:05:48 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Waterboxer longevity
Comments: To: WFryer <william.fryer@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>

William, I had 200,000 miles on my 85GL ...with original engine....and drove it from Anchorage, Alaska to Birmingham, Alabama......in 7 days....by myself. The water pump gave up the ghost without warning just 50 miles short of my destination. If you have a tight engine, all the indicators are good...like no/low oil consumption, no water leaks, etc. Do a compression check, then go for it....make your trip. The vanagon is a mechanical thing ( I know, they hate it when someone says that) and even a new engine has the possibility of blowing up. You know that something mechanical is laying out there in the future. Just set aside a repair/replacement reserve. Should take care of any problems. Sounds like you have a reasonably secure vehicle to drive.

Get on down the pike! (A spare water pump, CV w/boot & grease might be a good thing to have on board, along with additional coolant)

Best of luck,

John Rodgers "88 GL driver