Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:05:00 -0700
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire Carriers Again
Comments: To: "traveller57@CABLEONE.NET" <traveller57@CABLEONE.NET>

Jeanne:

I have had Jeeps for years, and have had several types of carriers (both custom made and "off the shelf"). In most cases, they are "swing-away" types, and will likely require extensive reworking to fit a Vanagon. This kind of work can get expensive quickly, and you want to make sure that the shop you use has experience with fabrication work. (See examples of their work first!!!)

Normally the way they mount is to have a bracket that bolts through the body on both sides of the rear; one carries the hinge, and the other carries the locking mechanism. In many cases this requires reinforcing of the body panels in order to keep them from flexing/tearing. (I used to carry a 33" spare along with two 5-gal jerry cans and that combo is HEAVY). Another type I have used is mounted to the bumper, but it requires a solid steel bumper, not the flimsy little ones we have on our Vanagons.

I might recommend an alternative - there are carriers on the market that plug into a class IV receiver hitch. These normally will carry a spare and even a jerry can or two. then you just have to worry about getting a nicely built receiver hitch made up. (Seems that there is a list vendor that does this)

another alternative might be to customize a Paulchen rack for carrying a storage box, spare tire and "stuff". This might work really well, since the Paulchen fits very nicely on the Vanagon and with the support legs on the bumper will support a fair amount of weight. (I have carried 70 qt coolers packed with food and ice). Check with Steve Lashley on the actual capacity of the Paulchen.

My thinking is that you could mount a pair of horizontal cross bars on the rear portion of the rack, one which would carry a "tongue" that goes through the center hole of the wheel, and the other a little higher up that could engage with a stout carriage bolt threaded to accept a lug nut. You would rest the wheel on the tongue and then line up the threaded bolt with a mounting hole in the wheel; torque down the lug nut over the threaded bolt and onto the wheel, and Voila! a spare tire mount! (Use a locking lug nut for security). If you mounted the tire up high enough, you would still have room below on the flip-out part of the rack to carry some goodies.

Just another line of thinking....

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

> > At 03:28 PM 4/25/00 -0700, Jeanne Maly wrote: > >What I have in mind is to replace the bumper and buy one of > the bolt on > >wheel carriers, but the question is which one? There is a > perfect one made > >for Jeep that also has an accessory for bolting on a gas can > carrier. Does > >anybody know if this might work? (I'll bet some of you guys > have a Jeep, > >too. Come on, 'fess up.) > > > >Jeanne > > > >----- Original Message ----- > >From: Stuart MacMillan <stuart@cobaltgroup.com> > >To: Jeanne Maly <traveller57@CABLEONE.NET> > >Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > >Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2000 3:12 PM > >Subject: Re: Tire Carriers Again > > > > > >> It depends on how it is made. Most truck tire carriers > have a "tongue" > >> that goes through the center of the wheel that takes the > weight, and > >> then the tire is fastened on in a variety of methods, but > usually some > >> variation of a rod and clamping mechanism that goes > through a mounting > >> hole. Racks are usually "wheel independent," no > manufacturer wants to > >> make a custom one for every wheel out there, but the one I > had on my old > >> '68 VW van was wheel specific. Any front mounted tire hanger for a > >> '70's VW bus could be adapted to your Vanagon since those > wheels are the > >> same as the Vanagon, but you have the issue of restricting air flow > >> through the radiator. But they are cheap, and even available at > >> junkyards. > >> > >> > Jeanne Maly wrote: > >> > > >> > There's been some discussion lately about the pattern of > the lug nuts > >> > on vanagon wheels. Would a vanagon spare tire fit on a > tire carrier > >> > made for a jeep? > >> > > >> > Jeanne > >> > '87 Syncro Westy > >> > > >> > >> -- > >> Stuart MacMillan > >> Manager, Case Program > >> 800-909-8244 ext. 8208 > >> Fax: 206-269-6360 > >> > >> Getting your share of the Net yet? > >> http://cobaltgroup.com > >> http://UsedEquipNet.com > > > > Michael J. Sullivan > IPS "SWATteam" Architect > Open Market, Inc. > > ********************************************* > phone: 781.359.7624 > work: http://www.openmarket.com > scan tips: http://www.hsdesign.com/scanning > vanagon: http://www.hsdesign.com/vanagon > ********************************************* >

[text/html]