Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jun 2000 01:01:47 -0400
From:         Katherine Maas <kathmaas@NORTELNETWORKS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trip to Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island,
              New Brunswick and Newfoundland
Comments: To: teerhb@HOTMAIL.COM

Wow, lucky you! I camped in many of the maritime provinces when I lived in the East, and I hope to make the rounds again some time in the next few years, because I haven't seen nearly everything in the Maritimes yet. My don't miss list:

Nova Scotia: Take The Cabot Trail right around Cape Breton Island, incredibly wild and beautiful. Visit Alexander Graham Bell museum at Baddeck. Fortress Louisbourg is a beautifully restored French fort and town from the 1700s, with many working industries of the time, costumed guides who take the identify of the people of the time, including restaurants which serve the food of the time, at several levels (poor people, middle class, very rich). An amazing place. Halifax, a city of grace and much history.

Prince Edward Island: The red sand beaches of the North Shore and the white sand beaches of Cavendish. Towns not to miss: Summerside, Charlottetown. Eat a lobster dinner at a local church -- they are often served weekly during the season, and it's the best way to experience lobster with all the trimmings in PEI. These are strictly social affairs, no religion pushed on you. They are done as fund raisers and many tourists enjoy them.

Newfoundland: Terra Nova National Park, Gros Morne National Park (spectacular mountains, ocean, and great hiking), L'Anse aux Meadows (only authenticated Viking settlement in North America, restored sod homes, great interpretive center). St. John's is a great place to spend Canada Day, July 1. You can get up and watch the sun rise over the most easterly point in Canada, Cape Spear, which is also the oldest lighthouse in Newfoundland. To get to Newfoundland, I recommend the overnight ferry to Argentia -- it's an 18-hour trip over open Atlantic, cabins available, though many people opt to forego this luxury and sit up throughout the trip.

New Brunswick: Bay of Fundy -- highest tides in the world. Visit Franklin Roosevelt summer home on Campobello Island. Beautiful old capital Fredericton -- very walkable.

Enjoy!

Kath, Rob & Vanita (87 Westy) North Vancouver, BC

[text/html]