Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Oct 2000 21:08:43 -0500
From:         Alan Bosch <arbosch@RA.ROCKWELL.COM>
Subject:      Of brakes, accelerator cables, exhausts,
              and dripping coolant...(long)

Hey gang!

Wild times for old Phred and me the last week and change.

First to go were the brakes. Driving to work last Friday, the peddle went all the way to the floor before the brakes would start to engage. Called for some very defensive driving - anticipating every little thing way far in advance. Knowing that Phred need brakes anyway, I decided to go for the whole shooting match and get pads, callipers, hoses, drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, and a new master cylinder. One of the list vendors was very accommodating and shipped everything to my door for Saturday morning - wanted to get a head start on the weekend as Phred is my daily driver. While really a very straight forward job, the brakes turned into a four day headache. Many of the original brake components were rusted in place and no amount of WD-40 and tap, tap, tapping were going to budge them.

One of the thing I discovered doing the brakes is the value of a brake-bleeder tool. It's a box end wrench with a little cut in the side that allows the wrench to be slipped over the brake lines, affording a good grip on the nut you have to remove if you're swapping the callipers or the wheel cylinders. For $10 or so, it proved to be some of the best money I spent. If you're going to do the brakes, get this little wrench. You will thank yourself for being so bright. Oh, and get it before you start the project, not during.

After the brakes were done, I drove Phred to work on Wednesday. The throttle seemed to be sticking, so when I got home, I put the bus up on the ramp and squirted a little synthetic lubricant one the accelerator peddle linkage and on the assemble where the cable meets the accelerator rod that goes back in to the engine bay. Working the linkage, the cable promptly snapped. Some quick calls to various list vendors and assorted FLAPS and dealers proved fruitless in finding the cable. The plans I made for BBTT this weekend were vanishing fast. BusDepot was the only one that said the could get the cable to me by Saturday, at the earliest. (One note here: Camelback VW in Phoenix could get the cable, for early next week, at a cost that was slightly more than twice the price - not including shipping - of what BusDepot quoted, including shipping.) Installing the cable took a little more than two hours - a very straight forward procedure. (If anyone wants details, just ask.)

The exhaust is shelved for the time being. It appears - and feedback on this is welcome - that you need to remove everything from the collector pipe to the tail pipe in order to get to the top bolts on the muffler/cat connection. Judging from the condition of the entire exhaust - from heads to tail pipe - the whole thing is going to need replacing. Think I'll just buy the pipes one at a time until I get the complete system, and they do the whole thing.

Approaching Phred for the test drive, after installing the accelerator cable, I noticed a little puddle of coolant on the ground. It's never been there before, and Phred has not been run since Thursday. I crawled back underneath for a look-see and could find nothing to indicated a leak from the heads. The coolant lines are all dry and the connections seem good. In the past, I've noticed dried coolant around the heads on the drivers side, but have never detected anything actually dripping or leaking. Maybe it'll get me through the winter, maybe not.

Thanks to the folks on this list that responded to cries for help over the last week. Many of the suggestions were very helpful and encouraging. For those that fear repairing you bus, don't. It's not that bad, and the only way to overcome that fear is to get your hands dirty.

Sorry about the rambling...

Alan Bosch & Phred ('88 Wolfsburg) - running and stopping - what could be better...? Rochester, NY