Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Oct 2000 22:07:02 -0700
From:         "Clark, Patrick" <PClark@NORTHPOINT.NET>
Subject:      Preaching to the Choir: Fuel Lines

I know we've all read a few dozen reports about burning Westy's and the propensity of the engine compartment to instantaneously combust.

I noticed over the last week a weak smell of Fuel and chalked it up to overspill while gassing up or just my own paranoia. This Saturday I was poking around my Alternator belt and contemplating a replacement when again I smelled the distinctive odor. I poked, prodded, checked and even ran the van with the cover open to identify any leaks-- none found. The fuel lines looked good, no cracks, burning, or even abraision marks.

Then finally I poked an prodded the fuel regulator ('89 Digifant) and viola-- I notice the fitting turning moist and yes it's fuel.

Since I'm here-- I decide to replace every rubber portion of the fuel system, I figure it can't hurt.

To my disgust and surprise every single hose I replaced (all 6 of the fuel injection lines inside the engine compartment and both the return line to the tank and the feed line including the pump and filter components)showed major signs of deterioration from the inside of the hose out. Each end was brittle (no doubt from heat), and several were severely cracked, but not quite through.

Needless to say I was "weeping" fuel from no doubt more than one location within the system.

Long story a little shorter-- don't take your fuel system for granted. Even with a newly refurbished engine by a very good mechanic, and what I expected would be a "new" van upon my recent purchase-- If you have yet to personally inspect your fuel system, you or your mechanic needs to.

Nothing we haven't heard or read before-- but I must admit to being a bit surprised by a known problem and one I had supposedly been keeping a close look out for.

[text/html]