Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:27:07 -0800
Reply-To: Bill Kasper <dragon@IPMTS.UCSC.EDU>
Sender: Vanagon Mailing List <email@example.com>
From: Bill Kasper <dragon@IPMTS.UCSC.EDU>
Subject: purchase advice, 1980s westfalia
Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
hi. i am new to this list. my wife and i are discussing purchasing an '80s
westfalia camper to replace our trusty toyota pickup truck with
shell/bedkit...our 3 year old son no longer is happy fitting behind my wife
in his carseat on the jumpseat, at least on long trips.
so, we're looking for a camper car, one we can also use for shorter trips
around town where his comfort is happy-making for all of us. i have looked
on-line and found a variety of vanagons and have come up with these first
1. how do you get into the poptop, and how does it act as a bed for anyone
longer than about 3 feet? none of the pictures i've found webside have
2. what's the deal with the 1983.5-1985 engines, and why have some sites
i've seen recommended going with the 1980-83 or >86 westies based on the
engine? i understand they introduced a new engine during this period, but
what exactly should i avoid (and i am not talking head gaskets here)? i ask
this because i have found a 1985 wolfsburg westfalia locally, and am
3. if you have an electric fridge, how is it powered? by the car battery?
i see a lot of references to secondary/tertiary/quaternary batteries.
4. can the incredibly detailed checklist at vanagon.com be distilled into a
top 10 or 20 items to make sure of, plus the rest which would only cause
marginal (yet operative) pain if they weren't closely regarded during
5. just how comfortable *are* the beds?
6. can a third seat be installed just anywhere on the floor behind/between
the front buckets, or are there specific spots? i think of my child and his
carseat in this instance...
7. are there any things to be utterly wary about when searching for a
westfalia? obvious things like "the 1984 westfalia always came with broken
spark plug wires".
thanks, sorry for the startlingly loud appearance here, but i hope we (my
wife and i) can get something together *westfalian* for long enough that i
can turn around and contribute!