Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:52:47 -0500
From:         Sam Walters <slwalters@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Stripped threads in cylinder head, to fix?, now?, how?

To: More mechanically sophisticated Vanagon folks,

Basic problem: I stripped the threads in one bolt hole on my right front cylinder head of my '84 and need to know how and when to fix it. The details and my more specific questions follow. Help will be greatly appreciated. My 11 year old and I want to keep the van running and other voices are saying that it is not worth it given its low current value and the presence of another van.

Details: A few weeks ago, I set out to change the coolant, bleed, etc., on my '84 Vanagon. All went well until I started to reassemble the exhaust. I had removed the cover that protects the push rods in order to get to the drain bolt. This required removing one of the bolts that holds the front header to the cylinder head. The header must have been imperfectly formed and installed "under tension" because when this bolt was removed, the flange twisted a bit and the hole in the flange ended up being not quite aligned with the hole in the header.

Of course, I didn't expect this and couldn't (or didn't) see it. I started putting the bolt back in by hand and it seemed to be going in fine. But was cross threaded, I didn't realize it, did a few turns too many with a wrench and stripped the threads. I did reassemble everything else, fill and bleed, etc. with just one bolt holding that header in place.

This head has a leaking gasket and in some ways the easiest thing to do would be to pull if off and replace the gasket (I've never done this, but have read all, or almost, everything on the list on how to replace, the JBWeld fix, etc.) and tap the hole at the same time. It would be easier to tap out in my basement than from under the van.

Early in my bike racing days (read over 10 years ago), I tapped out one or two aluminum parts that got stripped threads while digesting steel bolts. There are one or two shops that I could use who would probably be reasonable, but they both have long waits for appointments. I live in Baltimore, Maryland. Lately, it has been in the low 20's every night, or much colder. I doubt that I can do the head job in one day, and as a novice maybe not in a weekend, so I worry about the engine sitting out without coolant if I can't get it done during a rare warm spell.

When I was filling and bleeding the system, every once in a while there was a large "belch" of an air bubble that would come up in the coolant tank. Past info on the list seems to indicate that this means the gasket may be doing more than incidental leaking. Is this correct?

I don't want to put much cash into this van now as I have just bought my Syncro and made a few small repairs to it. My vanagon budget is very "overdrawn." Thus the desire to do it myself.

1) Exactly what tool do I need and approximately how much will this tool cost? 2) Is this a reasonable thing to attempt from under the van? I have both jack stands and ramps. 3) How do I do this? What tips of those with experience to I need to know so as to not screw it up. (No need to admit learning it by personal experience.) 3) Alternatively, I can get by without driving this van very much (or any). Will it hurt to drive it this way a few miles every week or so until warmer weather? It is in the small urban back yard now, but I would like to put it on the street and need to move it occasionally for street cleaning days. I don't see how I can hurt it with one header bolt absent, but I might be wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Sam Walters '84 Vanagon 174k original owner '89 Syncro 175k new to me 12/00