Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Mar 2001 20:09:26 -0500
From:         "Christopher T. Berchin" <ctb1@PEOPLEPC.COM>
Subject:      Total newbie has Vanagon questions

Hello everyone. I'm new to the list and don't want to make anyone mad, so I'll try and make this short:

I'm looking for a vehicle to transport my 125cc shifter kart (55" wide rear width) and all my gear to the track without a trailer. I think a Vanagon will fit the bill since it isn't too large but holds a ton. I've always thought they were nice vehicles, and now I have a reason to possibly get one. I've been researching as much as I can before I buy, but sometimes feedback from real people is better so I joined the list. (I will continue to search the archives, however.) Some thoughts/questions of mine:

1) With the weight I'll be moving around, I'm concentrating on 1986 2.1L and newer with a 4-speed, and no Synchros. Good idea?

2) Does the rear seat only fold flat in Vanagons with the Weekender option? I'll need this to use as a "load platform" for the kart, so I'd like that capability.

3) Cost is a major object, so I'm considering vans that need clutches, etc. Is this a difficult job? I've changed many FWD car clutches in my time, so this won't be my first time with the wrenches. Anything to watch out for in the clutch area?

4) I know that I need to look for head gasket problems. Anything else this rookie should look for?

5) I live in Michigan - how prone to corrosion are these vehicles?

Thanks for any help you can offer to this complete newbie!

Chris

[text/html]