Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 May 2001 10:58:46 EDT
From:         Raul Cisneros <Merrag@aol.com>
Subject:      Custom 15" wheels? Why not go to the Source?
Comments: To: slwalters@earthlink.net, Syncro@yahoogroups.com

In a message dated 5/10/01 9:20:16 PM, slwalters@earthlink.net writes:

<<maybe a group custom wheel purchase would be a good idea, if we can be sure that the wheel builder is sufficiently knowledgeable to build us a wheel that will really have the load capacity that we want. >>

Why do we not try to go to The Source in our quest for 15 inch steel or Alloy wheels? And I don’t mean the head waters of the Nile, I mean Hayes-Lemmerz. If you all look at your VW steel wheels, odds are good that Hayes-lemmerz ma de them and thie name is stamped somewhere on the wheel. They are a huge company, they supply wheels to many Auto manufactures, not just VW, but other European and American manufacturers. They make the steel wheels for the AMC Hummer.... It’s interesting to note that the popular South African “Sunburst” 15 inch alloys are made by NFD, or NF Diecasting. Who do you think owns them? Right, Hayes-Lemmerz. They bought this major SA wheel maker about four years ago. Now, if you will all point your browsers to:

http://www.hayes-lemmerz.com/about/index.html

you’ll discover they have facilities world wide, freakin every where, including in our back yards... CAST WHEELS: Northville, MI Gainesville, GA Howell, MI Huntington, IN La Mirada, CA Somerset, KY

STEEL WHEELS: Bowling Green, KY Sedalia, MO

So perhaps someone can go knock on the thier door and ask if they would be so kind as to stop thier assembly line so they could make up a bunch of sets of PERFECTLY suited 15 inch wheels for our Vanagons. Ask them for a steel or alloy wheel: 61/2Jx15H2 (or maybe 7Jx15H2) 5 x112mm bolt circle ET 30 (or ET24 if 7 inch wide) 66.6 mm diameter hub bore 14 mm bolt holes with bulge radiused seat Load Capacity of 1984 Lbs. (900kg) Oh, and we want cool wheel covers for the steel rims. Oh, and ask them if they can make a few with tire bead lockers for Derek.

<< 61/2Jx15HZ (Don't know what J and HZ mean, although I think HZ is about speed rating.) >>

6 1/2 = the wheel width

J = the type of flange, or lip if you will, the area that interacts with the tire. J is typical for passenger cars.

15 = is the wheel diameter

H = I thought was a designation for “hump” eg. “H2” is a two hump designation for the area of a wheel (in profile) below the flange (J) - the roughly U shaped portion not including the center hub. I think a “two humper” cascades down twice from the flange to the center point.

I did not know that “Z” was a speed designation, but it makes sense to have this, like on tires.

Seriously though, perhaps if enough people wanted to pool monies, maybe go through a vendor (what about it, Ron?) we may be able to gather up a big enough order fro the not to laugh in our 14 inch faces when we ask them to stop the presses and build us some 15 inch wheels that we can afford.

Raul Cisneros NY 87 Syncro Westy (NFD 15 inch alloys, Hayes-Lemmerz 15 inch (Passat) steels, 14 inch Hayes-lemmerz Standard steels, 14 inch carat alloys H-L?