Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Jun 2001 22:20:40 -0700
From:         Tom Salicos <TomSalicos@HOME.COM>
Subject:      87 Westy California Camping Update - Trip report.

Just returned from trip down California coast on Hiway 1. Allowed three days to get from Portland, Oregon to So Cal, but it was not long enough. Turns out that the smelling of the roses, cleaning up the camp and stopping for photos really cuts into the time. We had a time restriction to meet with family in Lebec, near Ft. Tejon (top of famous Grapevine Hill). Did not get to camp at any of the suggestions made by fellow listees. Timing was wrong. Did stay at Big Lagoon in Humboldt County, Bodega Bay, and Big Sur campground.

Also made it to Prescott, Arizona, to visit daughter and sundry relatives.

Summary of vanagon performance over 3500 miles of steep hills, freeways and desert -- FLAWLESS! Two quarts of oil and maybe a pint of coolant added. Gasoline usage was considerably higher.

Pre-trip service: Flush cooling system, pressure test, replace flakey-acting thermostat. Also had the Oxygen sensor and radiator fan switch replaced as part of gradual sensor swap-out program. New fan switch resulted in the low fan not coming on 'till the needle was 3/4 of the way to the high mark. (It usually controls with the needle just on the top half of the LED) Mechanic said "They all do that". (never heard that one before). Argued and he replaced the switch. Ok now. Drove it to work a few times before departing, just to make sure.

Second day of trip, oxygen sensor reminder light came on. I have the worst case of "wassernoia" of all, and periodically seeing the red light on the instrument cluster resulted in hundreds of little adrenaline injections that served to keep me alert.

The first 23 miles of Hiway 1 in No. California are extremely steep and have such switchbacks you wind up shifting back to first gear to keep moving forward. The turns are so sharp that you can look over and read your own rear license plate!

The California coast north of San Fransisco is the most fantastic scenery. It's a winding road along thousand foot cliffs with usually no guard rails. Really windy up there and not much competition on the road. Almost no RV's. Most pleasing to me was that every time I used a turnout, the car passing me waved or beeped. Even the motorcycles that were really abundant gave a beep when they passed. This kind of courtesy could be contageous!

Only got to San Simeon before deciding to head inland to meet relatives. Turning East put us into the hot weather and away from the idyllic coastal views. After phase 1 of reunion-ing, headed to Prescott. Tried to travel at night for cooler weather. Temps are still in the mid-90's at night and I found that with the A/C on, the high radiator fan would kick in even at 70 mph. Old radiator switch did the same thing.

On the way back, left at 6:30 am to try and beat the heat. Arizona's 75 mph speed limits are nice, 'cause you can get a run on the hills and keep the tach at the top of the green most of the way up. Got back into the mid '90's on I5 heading back to Oregon. Slowed down and tried to use the A/C, but the high radiator fan kept coming on. Ran the van hard for 17 hours straight with minimal oil use and no coolant level drop.

With 20-50 oil, the buzzer only came on a couple of times. Expectedly when it's really hot and the revs lug down to 2500 in 4th. Also when the wife forgets its not an automatic and pulls into a rest stop without downshifting.

Almost stayed at a Wal Mart, but no place to pee. Yes, I know that Westies have a sink, but it wouldn't be fair to the wife - she keeps sliding off ;o)

There's not a drop of any fluid under the van - no oil, no coolant, so I feel pretty good. Especially so, since I'm the worst wassernoid around - always thinking that any drips where I park MUST have come from my van. Nothing like a successful trip to renew the confidence.

Before we left there was a thread "How do you outfit your Westy...?". I wanted to mention something my wife has done. She bought a flannel sheet, cut it up and sewed bags for all the dishes, pots, pans and pan lids we carry. This protects them and lets you stack them together without all the rattling.

Later, Tom S.

[text/html]