Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Jul 2001 00:13:26 -0400
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      Westy A/C: Is that all there is?   '90 westy FS

Today we test drove a '90 Westy with a fully functional recently charged a/c. Outside temps were in the high 80's and humidity about a gazillion. The owner had it running on our arrival (a bad sign), air temp at the rear outputs felt cold; BUT, I kept reaching for the controls to try to see what I had to do to get air up to the front. After about ten minutes and lots of sweat we finally started feeling the cooler air. But even then it didn't approach the comfort level of Hans; I guess I am spoiled by the overhead tunnel ('91 Caravelle).

My questions are ....Is this normal? What do you Westy (with a/c) people do to improve the flow. I seem to remember a thread about auxiliary a/c ducting for Westies...Has anybody done this? We are looking for two things in a "new" Westy that Fritz doesn't have... A/C and Auto.

But after reading the 'what did you pay' thread; boy....Did I get a good deal with Fritz?!

BTW the Westy is in Columbus OH and is not what I am looking for. AFAIK it is: 120,500 miles ( 500 on rebuilt engine) red with red pop top... needs rubbed out and polished some rust, all around gray interior (dirty, tear and cigarette burn in bench seat) power mirrors...left worked, right didn't no power windows rear wiper didn't work mismatched tires, all wrong 4 spd sometimes shifts hard/sloppy all at once at low speeds (bushings?) canvas in good shape, camper stuff all works...needs cleaned engine ran very well... recently rebuilt by owner (repair shop owner)....he did seem to know whence he came. Main bearing kit from Germany (?). Can we order them from Germany? newly installed oil pressure gauge Sticker read $9995... I'm sure he will deal...not what I want, so I didn't talk price. Not mine..no interest...all other disclaimers apply. If interested pmail me and I'll dig up his phone number. -- Stephen Steele* Chillicothe OH '91 Caravelle "Hans" '84 Westfalia "Fritz" '81 Diesel Rabbit "Ol' Yeller" by PO '90 Jetta GL 16 yo Sons' "together" car '74 MGB "Terrance" My first car...yep, I've kept it since '74 '93 Chevy S-10 I hate it ... but sometimes I need a truck *all rights reserved/no portion of this document may be reproduced w/o prior written permission