Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Jul 2001 08:15:29 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Computer woes?
Comments: To: Ri <staff@EARTHNOW.ORG>

Sounds like your idle stabilizer is not working.

If your 87 GL has the same engine as my 88 GL -- the 2.1L with Digifant fuel injection, right on top is the Idle Stabilizer Valve. With your engine warm,, release the wire connector on the end and remove the wire from the stabilizer. Now start it back up. Check the idle. It should be 850 to 900 rpm. If not, there is a BIG slotted screw that adjusts the idle speed. Look on the air induction poart of the Injection system for it. It's fairly obvious. Adjust right or left until the idle speed is right. Next, drive the thing a bit. It should be fine. If not, there is another problem, but this is where to begin. Don't forget to reconnect the stabilizer valve wire after you have done all your tests.

The idle stabilizer valve is only necessary when the engine is cold or if you are using the airconditioner. You can remove and clean the valve with carburetor cleaner which should improve it's performance. Worse case is you may have to replace it. There is also an idle stabilizer control box in the right side of the engine compartment but behind the tail light. You mst remove the tail light to get to it. Removing the box the reinstalling it sometimes works, if the satbilizer valve is ok. R & R on the box disturbs the connection and breaks loose any corrosion that has developed, making for a better contact.

Good Luck.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Ri wrote: > > Hi Everyone! > > We have an '87 Gl that has a strange issue. When it starts, it runs like > it's carburated... as it doesn't want to idle better than 900rpm, and we > have to let it warm up for awhile. > > Then, when we shift gears, the engine slows down very slowly, so often it > is still at 3,000 rpm when the clutch is in and shifting. It's annoying, > but not to big of a deal. > > The hassle is sometimes when we come to a stoplight, it will stay idling > about 2,000 unless I lug it down to around 1,000rpm before placing my foot > in the clutch and kicking it out of gear. On a couple occasions its raised > to 3500! That's scary! > > We looked at the linkage, lubricated it etc. > > Is this a computer issue, or do you think it might be a dirty sensor > connector somewhere? We just had the oxy sensor replaced and a tuneup done. > > Thanks for your insight! > > The River Clan > > '87 Wannabee Westy > '67 Singlecab > '96 850 Turbo