Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:16:40 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 82 aircooled power
Comments: To: patcal@CYBCON.COM

There is a whole list of things to check and although it is time consuming it isn't that difficult. If you have old vacuum lines that are hard or loose it might be best to start there.You also need to be sure that the vacuum lines are hooked up right. Check the compression, should be at lest 75-130 on each cylinder, 80 Psi is about the rebuild signal but I've seen them run with 65 psi.(Best checked hot but cold wit a squirt of oil will give you the balance.) Check the AFM with an ohms meter. If you adjust the AFM, screw down is richer, back the screw out is leaner. There is no specified turn count, it varies for altitude and condition of your engine. Also check the following items, you will need the specs from a Bentleys manual that I no longer have. Engine Temperature Sensor Part # 0.280.130.012 Auxiliary Air Valve Part # 0.280.140.101 Thermo time switch. Part # 0.280.130.214, Double Relay (sometimes call combi relay) Relay #071-906-059 Left, 0-332-54-129 Right, Fuel pump pressure minimum 28 psi Check the Injector ground wires under the air distribution box. Pressure Regulator (vacuum Limiter) Part # 0.280.160.100 Resistor Unit Part # 0.280.159.0010 Check your timing 7.5 Degrees at 800-900 rpm. Check your timing at full advance about 32/42 degrees at 2500-3200 RPM If all of these things check out to specification limits: Check the injectors for fuel flow and electrical operation. Reset your hydraulic lifters for one turn down from just touching the rocker arm to the valve stem. Since you just got the van I'd check to make sure that you have the right spark coil, spark wires, rotor, spark plugs and that the vacuum canister on the distributor is working. I've seen wrong spark plug insulators (wire to plug end that were wrong). You should have solid core spark plug wires. The resistor wires should be connected good, not frayed or loose.(I've seen vans run with one wire off) All injectors fire at the same time so don't hesitate to pull them off to clean your connections.(you can't put them back wrong). Disconnect your battery before you unplug the ECU to clean or inspect the terminals. Thats about all I can tell you at this point. My 83 Westfalia Air-Cooled runs 70-75 without any problems other than the harder I run it the hotter the engine gets, but I'm 1500 pounds heavier than your van. Watch out for Jake Raby he's got you on his engine buyers list. (just kidding Jake).

Stan Wilder 83 Westfalia Air-Cooled

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 07:12:12 -0700 Pat Callaghan <patcal@CYBCON.COM> writes: OK, here is the deal. I am still very frustrated with the power output of my stock 82 westy. It just has such a lack of both acceleration & top end power. I am not looking for a rocket ship. I was very content with my 76 westy with the same engine. Almost all hills in the PDX area are 3 gear below 50MPH events. The van will do 70MPH but it really does not like it. 65MPH is where it seems to want to drive. I can live with that most of the time. With my 76, there was very few hills around here that I had to downshift for. 65 was the norm. What I am really looking for is some one in the PDX area to come & take my van for a drive & compare it to their air-cooled van. Since this is the only Vanagon I have ever had, I have no frame of reference. Let me know what you all think. Thanks. BTW, except for the power, I love the Vanagon.

Pat Callaghan 82 Westy Portland, OR. www.cybcon.com/~patcal

[text/html]